8/05/2008

but I like phonemes!

I've been doing lots of reading about school and English class lately; because, I'm getting really excited, but mostly nervous, about the coming school year. I guess I'm hoping that if I read enough scholarly material about the kind of good stuff that can happen in classrooms in public schools, then I will magically be able to make that good stuff happen in mine.

Last night I came across a talk that Neil Postman delivered to the National Convention for Teachers of English in Washington, D.C. in 1969. It's titled "Bullshit and the Art of Crap Detection."

Here's a taste:
Now, there are so many varieties of bullshit and, again time is so limited, that I couldn’t hope to mention but a few, and elaborate on even fewer. I will, therefore, select those varieties that have some transcendent significance. Now, that last sentence is a perfectly good example of bullshit, since I have no idea what the words “transcendent significance” might mean and neither do you. I needed something to end that sentence with and since I did not have any clear criteria by which to select my examples, I figured this was the place for some big-time words. Thus, we have our first variety of bullshit--what some people call, pomposity. The title or theme of this conference--Dreams and Realities--is another good example of pomposity. In the first place, I find it very difficult to believe that any group of English teachers can be all that familiar with what most people call “reality.” It is a fair guess that there are very few people living on this planet who regard as “real” the things most English teachers like to talk about and the fact that English teachers have not generally noticed this may be of transcendent significance.

In the second place, I don’t know what “dreams and realities” is intended to mean. I do not deny that it is a classy phrase, but it does challenge one to task, whose dreams? And whose realities? Surely not those of the thousands of black kids who go to school in this city. Or for that matter, kids anyplace. Perhaps it refers to the dreams and realities of English teachers, in which case, we probably should translate the phrase to read, “Our aims and our failures.” Not classy, but more to the point. In any event, the phrase is not worth dwelling upon except to say that it is a good example of the triumph of style over substance, which is the essence of pomposity.

Now, pomposity is not an especially venal form of bullshit, although it is by no means harmless. There are plenty of people who are daily victimized by pomposity in that they are made to feel less worthy than they have a right to feel by people who use fancy titles, words, phrases, and sentences to obscure their own insufficiencies. Many people in our profession dwell almost exclusively in the realms of pomposity, and quite literally, would be unable to function, if not for the fact that our profession has made respectable this form of bullshit. With the possible exception of the field known as educational administration, English teaching probably includes more pompous language than (you ready for this?) any other “discipline.” If you have some doubts about this, may I suggest that you review the NCTE Convention programs of the past ten years. I may be mistaken, but I am under the impression that some years ago someone gave a speech entitled, “The phoneme--Whither goest?”
It's funny 'cause it's true, but it's not exactly what I was looking for. I'm looking for more of a "This is what you should do to be a good teacher..."

2 comments:

penthesileia said...

In every field there are a few people who keep it real. I think you have found one of them.

ellen said...

oh i hope so.

but my mom will tell you that i actually love pomposity. i get "blinded by the exuberance of my own verbosity," she says. whatever, i'm cool.