3/01/2009

like two peas in a pod. no?

When asked how he'd like to be remembered, Julian Bond said that he hadn't thought about it. He said it in a dismissive way that seemed to say, "Uh... I'm too busy doing badass work to think about my own legacy. Duh."

But then he chuckled and said, "Of course I've thought about it!" And his smile said, "I know I'm supposed to be dignified and care more about my work than myself, but come on! I've done some badass work!"

He explained that he'd thought about what he wanted on his tombstone. He wants it double-sided: on one side, "easily amused," and on the other, "race man."

And so I just wanted to publicly remind y'all readers of this blog (i.e. Mom) that I've had "fairly easily amused" listed as a descriptor of myself on Facebook for like, months now. I think that means that Julian Bond would probably think I'm cool.


Or at least maybe he would.

(More interesting JB tidbits:
1. He boycotted Coretta Scott King's funeral because hers and Dr. King's children opted to hold services at an anti-gay megachurch. He protested that this choice ran contrary to Ms. King's long-standing support of the LGBT community.

2. He hosted Saturday Night Live in 1977. Here's a transcript of a skit called "The Black Perspective" in which he explains his "theory" that "light-skinned blacks are smarter than dark-skinned blacks.")

2 comments:

penthesileia said...

A lot of what the King children have decided to do since their father (and mother) died has gone contrary to what Dr. King and Mrs. Scott King would have wanted. Bernice King in particularly is a big anti-gay activist; she's marched in several marches against gay rights and has been outspoken. Not to mention that the King offspring are money-grubbing people who can't take care of Atlanta's King Center (once they fought tooth and nail for control over it, when it was doing perfectly fine with the city) but want to charge street vendors royalties when they put their father's image on T-shirts and mugs.

Really, though?

Sorry, they are not my favorite people. They have a long legacy with Spelman and Morehouse, and they were always hanging around. MLK's great-great niece or some other distant relative was in my class and she would never let you forget that MLK was a distant relative...like anyone cared.

ellen said...

you know, now that you say that, i remember you mentioning his kids to me before. how disappointing.