2/25/2009

I needed that.

Tonight I went to see Julian Bond, President of the NAACP speak on the U of I campus.

That. Guy. Is. Cool. Below are some of the photos they showed of him in the 60s. He was a student of Dr. King's; he founded SNCC, and he organized the opposition delegation to the 1968 Democratic National Convention. And he's funny.

When asked if he had the sense that the NAACP could take some credit for Obama's election, one of the things he said was, "We are the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People. We are not the National Association for the Advancement of One Colored Person." ha

The one thing I'm going to think on for a while, though, was the way he generalized the difference between today's student generation and the students of his generation. He made a distinction between the focus then on achieving social justice, and the focus now on increasing student participation in social service. He said, "We believed that if you had social justice, you wouldn't need social service."

I like that.

Here are some of the photos of him that they put up. I thought they were pretty cool.



No comments: