3/04/2009

The worst thing about living in East Central Illinois

is not the shitty winter weather, but rather the not-news news. The last two mornings, I've enjoyed my breakfast in front of the T.V., watching the local news. Both mornings, they've reported extensively on three marijuana-related arrests that occurred about three days ago.

I'm sorry, I know that crime is what sells in the news industry, but this is boring. And I'm not complaining about not having "good" crimes to hear about. I know that there's cool stuff going on around here, so in the absence of any newsworthy arrests, why not just report good news?

Maybe it's not crime that sells, but the mugshots of Black and Latino people? Maybe I'm just cynical.

2 comments:

penthesileia said...

I mean, you gotta let the community know that law enforcement is doing its job and locking up all the dangerous black and Latino men. Meaning all of them.

ellen said...

ha you're right. what was i thinking?