6/25/2008

Was Moses stoned?

I'm reading a book my brothers recommended about Mormon Fundamentalists called Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer. Very interesting. I've never heard the following suggested interpretation:

"When Dan became reacquainted with marijuana through his association with Knapp, he says that because he was no longer under the thumb of the LDS Church, 'for the first time I was able to get high with a clear conscience, and perhaps that is why, rather than just experiencing 'the gladdening of the heart,' I began to experience the 'enlivening of the soul.' I began to have what I would call wonderful spiritual insights.' Getting baked, Dan observed, was much like becoming a child and being introduced into a whole new world... I've concluded that the scripture which says, 'Unless you become like a little child, you can't see the Kingdom of Heaven' is another secret reference to getting high; as is also the mysterious account of Moses seeing God through the burning bush." (178)

No comments: