12/22/2007

pope dot el

I've been needing to do some exercising of my brain lately, so I went and checked out this exhibit at the Art Institute today. Pretty sweet. I was a little skeptical when the lady I talked to corrected my question, "How's that William Pope exhibit?" with "Um, It's William Pope.L," but his work is very cool.

(Click for more info on his performance art.)

Also cool is the photography exhibit downstairs, "Girls on the Verge: Portraits of Adolescence." You can't tell from this image, but the series of photos below, by Lalla Essaydi, depict girls and women dressed in and surrounded by cloth inscribed with Islamic calligraphy written in henna that also covers the exposed skin of each of the subjects. The placard at the exhibit said that the writing is typically reserved for the use of men only, but I'm not finding that specification here. Anyway, very cool. I'd recommend both if you're in Chicago!



(What intelligent commentary I've provided here! "Pretty sweet" and "very cool." A compelling review, no?)

No comments: