6/04/2007

It's a yes or no question.

The surveys that we're taking are purely quantitative. We survey as many people as we can reign in for each administration of it, and ask them to fill in the bubbles completely. Just like they do for the standardized tests, we say. But our participants do not always feel confined to the bubble system, apparently.

Q: Would you be able to have an honest and open discussion about sex with your mother or father?
A: No / maybe later when I'm older



Q: What person is most like a father to you? (MARK ONLY ONE ANSWER.)
A:... My brother / my fathers dead he luves me =)


I think this is pretty cool. There are quite a few more examples of this kind of scrawled note to the researcher, although surveys with written responses are certainly a minority. Sometimes I get the sense that the participant desperately wants to explain her/himself, or somehow apologize for the bubbled answer. Other times, the indecisiveness is nearly tangible. Who can decide if they plain agree or plain disagree with something like "My opinions are often influenced by others"? Where's the "It depends on who 'others' is" bubble?

In other news, I got a package from my parents today. Some of the highlights of what Mom included are flavored tea and new underwear. Dad threw in Dr. Scholl's gel inserts because he likes to ask me, "Hey Ellen, you gellin'?" I like it, too. My parents are great.

No comments: