1/02/2010

good taste

So I finally did my grading today. Ugh. So boring. But one interesting thing I noticed was that a significant majority of the students who chose to write about the Tupac Shakur text we read ("Keep Ya Head Up") focused their analysis on the same set of lines:

And since we all came from a woman
Got our name from a woman and our game from a woman
I wonder why we take from our women
Why we rape our women do we hate our women
I think it's time to kill for our women
Time to heal our women, be real to our women
And if we don't we'll have a race of babies
That will hate the ladies who make the babies
And since a man can't make one
He has no right to tell a woman when and where to create one

These happen to be my favorite lines from the song as well, but our class discussions really didn't go in their direction at all. Or at least not more that they did towards other parts of the song. Maybe it's because discourse on the need to respect women is sort of a common and comfortable thing in terms of what-we-write-for-school. Don't know. It could be the repeated long "a" sound followed by the repeated "woman/en" that drew them all in. That's what does it for me anyway.

No comments: