12/04/2008

three scenes from school today: a good day

We have this one student who has a learning disability and is really self-conscious about it. He's got this really out-going personality, and he's constantly making sure that everybody in the room knows that he's smart. The other day he was bragging to me about how large his vocabulary is, so we decided to capitalize on his large vocabulary, his loud personality, and his need for academic affirmation. We've got him teaching his classmates a vocabulary word a day. He writes it on the board, gives them the definition, and asks them to come up with synonyms. Then, he chooses one volunteer to write a sentence on the board using that word. Today, his word was bamboozle. The volunteer he chose wrote, "Ms. Dahlke and Ms. Janney bamboozled (student name) into thinking that he in charge of something big."

---

Our students have been learning to do narrative writing by writing family stories. One of the things about the assignment that's been tripping them up is that they need to write from the perspective of someone other than themselves. In other words, they can't be the narrators of their stories. So to help them practice playing around with perspective today, we reviewed the events in "The Three Little Pigs," and then held a "press conference" about the disappearance of three little pigs. Each class period, four students volunteered to be the Big Bad Wolf, the Big Bad Wolf's grandmother, a relative of the Pigs, and a police officer on the case. The rest of the students questioned them. It was hilarious. In one class period, when the the students asked the police officer what he found at the scene of the crime, he launched into a monologue: "Well, I was licking the donut glaze off of my fingers when I got out of my car and found the Wolf. I thought, 'Mmm... He smell like bacon. Sweet swiiiiine... smelling so diviiiiine.' So I say, 'Wolf, what happened to all the cribs? They all gone, Wolf. You goin' to jail!'" Over the sound of all of us dying laughing, he goes, "Thank you, I'll be here all week. Actually, I'll be here all year."

---

I'm teaching an after-school version of my class for an alternative education program for kids that need to learn in a different kind of setting than the regular 50 minutes, 4 minutes, 50 minuts, 4 minutes, 50 minutes, 4 minutes deal. At the end of each session, I have to walk the students out. So I was walking the last kid out, and he needed to stop at his locker. He put all of his materials away, and was like, "Dang, I need a bookbag." I told him that I have an extra one in my classroom that I can give him. And he goes, "Oh, thanks. But let's keep it between me and you that you gave it to me." I thought that maybe there was some rule that I didn't know about that prohibited us from providing those kinds of things for the kids, so I said, "Oh, why?" And he goes, "Because I got a rep to protect."

5 comments:

Susan said...

For being sick I had a day with some good moments too, but my favorite was the pass that a student brought to my class that said, "____ is done with his work in my class and ready to wreak havoc and burn things in your classroom, but it's your worry now"
The student had written it and the teacher had signed it for him. :)

ellen said...

HAHAHAHAHA

hey, that's not funny in your forest-fire ridden classroom!

Kasey said...

the only thing better than these stories is soulja boy legislative process.

Cassie said...

hahaha i concur, why aren't grad students funny?

penthesileia said...

Haha tales from classroom