11/30/2008

Next stop:


THE ISLAND OF MISFIT TOOOOOOYYYSSS!


My Dad says that all the time, not just at Christmas time. It's from that stop-motion animated Rudolph movie that I've seen about a gazillion times. Jess put it on in the background while we put up our tree and lights. I never realized as a kid how uncool-ly the movie treats disability. Poor, Charlie! Check it out below. Mom, where were you on this one?



But seriously, that's kind of a whack message to send to kids about differently-abled folks (Toys, I know. Whatever.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

A different time and a different world Ellen, when children with Down Syndrome were called "Mongoloids" and anyone who was non verbal was a "Dummy". PC was a dim (rather a non existent)and distant notion. I'm not defending Rudolf and Santa here but they have to be viewed in context. Now we KNOW better!!