12/01/2015

Tomorrow, it has been one year since I was a teacher.

Yesterday at work, I found out that the dress that came in for one of my customers was too short.  I was telling Carol how difficult she had been and how nervous I'd been about everything being perfect for her -- so that I wouldn't have to deal with her wrath (and have to pretend like I think that wedding dresses matter all that much).

Carol screamed with laughter and said, "You're like Chinese saying... I don't know how you say it in English," and she asked Natalie in Cantonese.  Natalie said, "Dog poo?"  "Yes!" Carol said, "You always afraid you'll step in dog poo, so you do."  And she laughed some more.

THAT'S EXACTLY RIGHT.

I'm really grateful for this opportunity to learn more -- by listening and chatting -- about the rhythms of Chinese English.  I haven't even read that much about it, so I really geek out on it.

No comments: