10/20/2008

"Is your question about what we're talking about right now?"

We're reading Night by Elie Wiesel in my classes. For some of my students, especially those with learning disabilities, it presents a challenge to their ability to connect what they know about the Holocaust (which is a lot) to the "hard" words in that text. So to help ease them into the story, we watched Oprah's interview with Wiesel in Auchwitz in class today.

One of my students (A hilarious kid: he does all his thinking aloud, which, as you can imagine, is pretty distracting for his classmates. One day I made him keep a tally of all the times he caught himself doing it and he got up to six in that one class period. He showed me the tally marks with this big, shit-eating grin. And somehow I found it completely adorable.) raised his hand, and whispered to me, "How did Hitler die?" I told him that I was pretty sure he shot himself, but that I would look it up. I checked it out real quick on my classroom computer, and went over to let him know. The student seemed pretty satisfied to know that he shot himself and swallowed cyanide simultaneously.

So when he raised his hand and silently beckoned me across the room to him a few minutes later, I was expecting some kind of similarly tangentially related question. This time, he asked, "You know that dude who got a picture of the Lock Ness Monster? Didn't he say that it was fake before he died?"

No comments: