10/08/2007

talking to kids

Last night as I was going to sleep, I listened to this week's episode of This American Life, called 341: How to Talk to Kids. It starts off totally hilarious. Ira's hanging out with these fifth-grade kids and they're telling him all about the general nature of the way that grown-ups talk to them and how it's largely ridiculous. They lament the incessant, "How's school?" and "So, do you have a booooyfriend/giiiiirlfriend?" And rightly so, huh?

I started to have a little bit of trouble falling asleep, though, as I thought honestly about the things that I know I've said to my young cousins and other random kids. I'm totally guilty of "How's school?" Fuck. How can I avoid falling into the trap of being a lame adult who doesn't know how to have a conversation with a kid? So I'm thinking of drafting a list of interesting and respectful questions for kids so that I have a reserve of good stuff to say whenever I come across a young'n. Suggestions are welcome.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I thought about this, and I tried to think about how much I ask kids about school. I think I'm guilty of it in a general sense -- I'm always really interested in education by default -- but a lot less than other adults, and I definitely don't ask "how's school?" I'll say "Do you like school?" (usually no) and then ask why, or their favorite subject or something.

But usually I end up talking to my kids about music or sports. Being black and taught that's what they're supposed to be interested in, they're inordinately interested in it :D

-melissa

ellen said...

racist!