2/29/2016

T-O-M-A-S-Z-K-I-E-W-I-C-Z

Pronounced TOM-uh-SKEV-itch.

Mrs. Tomaskiewicz was my third grade teacher.  I remembered the other day that she used to say to us, whenever we boasted about some accomplishment, "Do you want a parade or a party?"

That was kind of mean because we were only nine and we were proud of ourselves.

---

When I wrote the pronunciation, I noticed that it was the opposite of iambic (as in Shakespeare's iambic pentameter -- five iambs in a row: "From FORTH the FAtal LOINS of THESE two FOE").  I looked it up and when the stressed syllable comes before the unstressed syllable, it's called a trochee (adj trochaic): "DID he WHO made THE lamb MAKE thee?" The poetic norm is trochaic tetrameter, four trochees in a row,  as we see above.  In the case of Tomaskiewicz, we have trochaic dimeter.

---

She had a greenhouse in her classroom where we kept the paper towels, and she always had a desk in her seating chart that was left empty but had a name-tag on it for Jesus.

No comments: