5/14/2015

Come at me, bro.

I just sent Nola this book:



When I got her a feminist coloring book for Christmas, she asked me to explain what feminism is.  Eoin was sitting there, too.  I told them that, basically, it's believing that girls are just as good as boys even though some people act like they're not.  

Nola said, "Oh, then I'm a feminist."

And Eoin said, "I'M NOT!"

---

Occasionally, I'll post something on Facebook that somehow invites attacks from White folks -- almost always dudes.  Usually it's a post that has to do with race.  Today it's one about race and gender, this clip of Michelle Obama's speech at Tuskeegee.

This men get so fucking worked up.

And it occurred to me, because I was texting with Johnny about that book:

This is the "grown-up" version of "Girls go to Jupiter to get more stupider." It was funny and endearing when Eoin resisted feminism.  But these grown ass men...



3 comments:

Suzanne said...

My patience grows thin. I was in an all day meeting at the U yesterday where a white male professor was talking about interactions with an African American social worker who had asked him for help with a specific project. His (self-congratulatory) response was, "I'm not the expert...we're all the experts together" and then proceeded to name drop all of these scholars, studies, etc. while making himself and his expertise the center of the conversation. The lack of self-awareness was staggering.

What was the coloring book? I sent this one to my nieces: http://www.amazon.com/Sometimes-Spoon-Another-Coloring-Reach/dp/1604863293/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1431697911&sr=8-1&keywords=sometimes+the+spoon+runs+away+with+another+spoon

Anonymous said...

I have found this article very useful for understanding this topic. What do you think?

http://goodmenproject.com/featured-content/white-fragility-why-its-so-hard-to-talk-to-white-people-about-racism-twlm/

ellen said...

Suzanne, yes. And it was this: http://www.amazon.com/Girls-Chicks-Coloring-Reach-Teach/dp/1604860766/ref=pd_bxgy_14_img_y

Beth, I love it. Such a helpful resource.